Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If you’re reading this there’s a good chance you’ve experienced some degree of water damage and you’re asking, “what’s next?” The simple answer to that question is, “call your local SERVPRO professionals.”
Water damage is the type of event that requires expert strategies and experience. It’s having the right tools and training to not simply, move material around, but to know what to do and what not to do and to know the best way to do it.
Our local New Hyde Park and Mineola area SERVPRO team are the best. We work hard and help our neighbors recover from water damage projects of all sizes.
But, “what do I do before help arrives?” Follow the tips below.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (516) 742-1008
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.