Preparing To Escape a House Fire
Preparing a fire escape plan for yourself and your family is important whether you live in Williston Park, NY or anywhere else in the country. Your dwelling may be a single-family home, a multi-family home or a high-rise apartment, but whatever the case, the routes to safety should be planned and practiced by all inhabitants.
Planning for a Safe Getaway
No matter your type of home, it is important to have functional smoke alarms on every level. In a fire emergency situation, an alarm can provide the two minutes that the Red Cross estimates are needed to get out safely. Make sure that all family members recognize the sound of the alarm and know how to call 911. Design and regularly practice your fire escape plan.
• In single-family homes, identify at least two exits from each room. Preselect a gathering point outdoors. Once outside, call 911 if the emergency is real.
• In multi-family homes, identify two exits from each room, and place escape ladders in second floor rooms. Plan a meeting place outdoors. Call 911 if it is an actual emergency.
• In high rises, head for the interior fire stairs if possible. If it is too dangerous to leave via the interior stairs, find a safe place, and close all doors. Call 911, and hang a white sheet outside your window to alert the fire department to your location if it is not a drill.
• Never return to the dwelling to retrieve people, pets or belongings.
• Download and complete the Red Cross’s emergency escape plan. Share it with everyone in the home.
Though it is regrettable that items of monetary or sentimental value can be lost in a fire or a beloved home can be damaged, restoration and remediation services can go a long way in helping with material losses. A fire escape plan can be an essential element of protecting what really matters.