If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (516) 742-1008

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Candlelight Safety

11/4/2019 (Permalink)

Black room filled with smoke. If fire cleanup is needed, contact a professional to get your home back to smelling fresh.

You take pride in your home in Mineola, NY. Along with looking good, chances are you want it to smell good too. Candles have long been the go-to for setting the mood and adding a touch of fragrance to make a pleasant and inviting atmosphere. Unfortunately, improperly using them can result in a candle fire.


Basic Candle Safety
Around 4 percent of home fires are caused by candles. In nearly 85 percent of those cases, proper care before, during and after use could have eliminated the candle fire from starting in the first place. Before you light up your newest aroma, three basic rules should also be followed:

Do not leave a burning candle unattended.
Avoid burning a candle on or near anything flammable.
Ensure a lit candle is out of reach for pets and children.

Properly Using a Candle
To avoid smoke cleanup after a fire, as well as keeping everyone and everything in your home safe, a few simple guidelines can significantly reduce the chances of ambiance turning into fire damage.

Keep wicks trimmed to ¼ inch.
Light with a long match or lighter.
Use a heat resistant, properly sized candle holder.
Ensure room is well-ventilated and not drafty.
Once lit, do not move or touch.
Keep multiple lit candles approximately 3 inches from one another.
Stop burning when only 2 inches of wax remains or ½-inch from bottom of container.
Instead of blowing candles out, use a snuffer to prevent wax splatter.
Always ensure it is completely extinguished.
Avoid touching the candle until it is completely cooled.
Do not use a sharp tool to remove wax. Doing so can damage and weaken the candle.

A candle fire is likely not the aroma you want wafting through your house. Taking precautions and following proper procedures can keep your home safe. If fire cleanup is needed, contact a professional to get your home back to smelling fresh.

Other News

View Recent Posts